How do I access Accident and Emergency Care?

During working hours, patients in pain or in an emergency situation should call our surgery first thing in the morning to arrange an appointment. We will do our best to see genuine emergencies within 24 hours.

In the evenings, weekends and public holidays, please contact the Royal Melbourne Dental Hospital at 720 Swanston Street Carlton Vic 3053 on (03) 9341 1000.

What should I do if I'm in Pain?

  • If you are suffering pain without facial swelling you can purchase painkillers from any chemist
  • Always take the advice of the pharmacist, and be sure to inform them of any current medication or medical conditions, eg. Asthma or stomach ulcers, that you may have
  • Avoid hot, cold, or hard foods as this may make the pain more severe
  • Contact your dentist for treatment

What should I do if my Face is Swollen?

This usually is a sign that there is infection or an abscess. Contact your dentist for treatment.

However, if the swelling is severe or you feel sick, have a temperature, or the swelling is affecting your swallowing or breathing, you must attend your local casualty department urgently.

What should I do with a loose Crown or Bridge

  • If the crown is at the back of your mouth, leave it out and keep in a safe place until you attend your dentist
  • If the crown is at the front of your mouth, you can buy temporary cement from some chemists
  • Denture fixture such as Polygrip can also hold the crown in place for a short period
  • It is not advisable to eat or sleep with the crown retained by these methods

What if my Mouth Bleeds after an Extraction?

  • If the socket is just oozing gently see advice sheet on dental extraction
  • If the socket is bleeding heavily or persistently, you need urgent attention. Apply pressure to the socket as mentioned above and attend the local casualty department

What should I do if I have a Broken Tooth?

  • If the broken tooth is the result of a fall, and you are concerned about other injuries,
    go immediately to the hospital casualty department
  • If the tooth is broken while eating or is the result of a lost filling, some chemists have temporary filling pastes that can be placed in the broken tooth to reduce the pain and irritation
  • The tooth may be sensitive to hot and cold, so it’s sensible to avoid food or drinks that make the discomfort worse
  • Contact your dentist for an appointment

What should I do if a Tooth is Knocked out?

  • DO NOT re-implant first (baby) teeth
  • If the permanent/second/adult tooth is knocked out, it is important to re-implant the tooth immediately
  • Hold the tooth by the crown, not the pointed root
  • DO NOT scrub or touch the root
  • Gently push the tooth back into the socket, ensuring it is the correct way round
  • Bite on a clean hanky to hold the tooth in place
  • Attend your dentist or hospital emergency department immediately
  • If you can’t put the tooth back in, place it in a cup of milk – don’t let it dry out